Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Corky Name?

While we were shopping this weekend, I spotted a few inspirations. Anthropologie had some interesting decorations using wine bottle corks to celebrate Earth Day. They were large designs hanging in the windows with clothing. Some corks were dyed and others were layered. Really cool effect!


I thought I could take the concept and do something smaller. (I also like to think of things for Christmas gifts!) Plus we have oodles of corks around our apartment...

Framed family names have been popular in the past few years, whether they are crocheted or photographed objects spelling out the name, so I thought why not corks? I took all the corks we had and spelled out our name on a random piece of fabric. Not the best choice of color, but it's all I had. Then I mocked it up in photoshop as if it were framed. I think there is a lot of potential and variation for a project like this. I really want to play around with layering the corks and painting them, but that's for another day. For now, here's my quick idea:

What do you think? Would you hang something like this in your home?
(Sorry, not the best photo)_____________________________________________________________________


On a totally separate note, I'm really ready for summer and continuously enjoyable weather to be here. This rainy, icky junk is starting to get on my nerves....
We were lucky enough to have a few sunny days this weekend while my parents were visiting Chicago. We took a trip to our local Home Depot and picked up a few supplies for my "Porch Garden!" Our landlord had agreed to help us create a rooftop garden, however the access to the roof is too difficult to attempt every day and can't be done easily by one person. So, I think its back to the porch idea, which will hopefully prove successful!

We don't get a ton of sun since our porch faces north, but I put the pots on the west side, so hopefully they will get enough sun to grow. I'm excited to have some working space on the porch now since we created this little bench! I think the grill will have to be moved once I start planting though!

One last photo for inspiration. Easter Sunday ended up being a really nice day, but the Cubs failed to take advantage of it. I do believe they lost this game in the very first inning. Ugh...



2 comments:

  1. LOVE the wine cork idea and I have plenty laying around to play with myself...I will let you know when I get around to it! Thanks for the idea, I've been saving them with the hopes of finding something neat to do with them. I have a vase filled with them for a centerpiece and was throwing around the idea of a corkboard, homemade bulletin board made of corks type thing...but I love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this is late, but I created a few cork pieces as well. I actually made a wine bottle and guitar out of cork, and they hung on our wall for a while (until an unfortunate nail incident made them both fall). My only remnants of the cork-art is a big bowl of corks we keep adding to as a centerpiece on our kitchen table. Great idea, and I'd like to see what a talented person could do with corks!

    ReplyDelete